Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why write about it?

Energy healing has changed my life.

In November 2006 I received my first Reiki attunement. I made the decision while hanging out at a local shop specializing in books and supplies related to metaphysics and the occult. Over the prior six months, I'd purchased several books and crystals.

I was either perusing the books or glancing over the crystals in the owner's display case when she casually announced to anyone in earshot that she felt ill. "Can I get you something?", I volunteered. It would have been my pleasure to do such a small thing for her. I found her intuitive gifts intriguing and loved that she had begun to tease and harangue me like I was one of the regulars. Now that I lingered longer and longer over the books, I suppose my bi-weekly visits qualified me as a regular. Teasing was the way she showed love. You know the type.

To my query, she just shook her head. All the while, with closed eyes, she moved her hands to various positions on her stomach. I was fascinated. She was fascinating. I inquired. With authority and a little condescension, she said "I'm a Reiki Master." Nothing like a little condescension to get my attention.

"What's that? What does it mean that you're a Reiki Master?" Whatever she said didn't satisfy my curiosity. Being a google gal, I came home and scoured the internet. One month later I located someone that seemed to fit the bill and went to his apartment to receive my Reiki I attunement. Four months later in March 2007 I received Reiki II with Catherine Morris.

It changed my world. The night before the Reiki II attunement I suddenly had the urge to stop taking the anti-depressant medication I'd taken for eight years running.

I'd had a clinical depression, but when it ended, I found the meds helped with my late-diagnosis ADD symptoms. I was more focused, things got done quicker without the distractions I'd learn to live with before the meds. In one fell swoop, no more meds. In addition to my nightly SSRI, I also swallowed, not one, but two allergy medications. I took generic benadryl to keep away the sinus headaches and help me sleep along with claritin for the non-headache allergy symptoms. Talk about becoming a believer.

That wasn't all that changed. In May 2007, when I received my Reiki Master attunement, my transformation took off. Although I dropped the anti-depressants cold turkey, other bad habits subsided slowly until they were no longer there. I had a couple mild addictions, nothing that's illegal in California mind you, but not the healthiest of habits either. And I frequently enjoyed good tequila. The end of each bad habit required a period of mourning, sometimes even a little ritual of two days or 24-hours or some such time period where I just indulged it to the hilt, knowing it was the last hoorah. And then it would be. Goodbye. Between the meditations with crystals, Reiki and intuitive healing techniques I've picked up along the way, I am healthier than I've ever been. And about thirty pounds lighter.

Every now and again I get a taste for something stronger than my red wine. When I do, I enjoy it. And then it's over. It has become second-nature to do what is best for my physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. I attribute this to the impact of energy healing on my life. For me energy healing creates a sense of balance. You learn to tune it to it, to take the balanced state for granted. As soon as you’re out-of-balance, you notice. Something feels different. And then I dust off the techniques and go back to regular self-treatments, using Reiki on situations, using it at work. My intuition directs me on how to move furniture around, carry different crystals, change my environment. And then….aaaaaahhh…sweet balance.

Funny thing. I haven't been back to that shop since I decided to take Reiki. Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

  1. Robin--I read your blog post. Very interesting! Can you do Reiki on me? When?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again--I re-read your post, and I must say that I am very impressed with your ongoing search for truth, healing, and balance. I would like to make an appointment with you to talk about reiki and other metaphysical modes as your earliest convenience.....thank you!

    ReplyDelete